Popular Posts

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Week 3 - 6 week set back - hernia surgery recovery

I have been avoiding this week's post... I am not sure of all the reasons -- a big reason was that I was all drugged up on pain medicines after surgery last Friday.  I was so dizzy and nauseous for four days, even thinking about sitting down in front of the computer would make me sick.   After I started feeling better, I knew my blog was waiting for me but could not get myself to write.  This is what happens to me when my fitness/weight loss efforts do not according to plan.  I start to avoid reality and I don't want to admit to myself and others that what I committed to do is not happening.
Dr. Fass is my surgeon, and he is great!!  He performed an umbilical hernia repair which will prevent me from doing much exercise (other than walking) for six weeks.  This is really freaking me out --  I had started getting into my jogging routine and after a six week hiatus I will have to start all over again.  This greatly demotivates me and depresses me.  I know the hernia needed to be repaired -- it was causing me pain when exercising, especially during push ups and abdominal exercises.  Six weeks is not that long, so I will continue to focus on taking one week at a time.  My plan for this week is to stay focused on what I am eating so at least my weight remains the same.  I will wait until March to join the Health Risk Management program (HRM) at the Austin Diagnostic Clinic.  I haven't decided yet whether I will stick to the fruits, vegetables and meal replacements or if I am going all in with meal replacements only.   Now that the weather and my health are improving, I am hoping to spend time outdoors walking around trying to burn as many calories as possible.  Several experts say walking is the best exercise to lose weight, we shall see!!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."  Maria Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment