Popular Posts

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Emotional eating avoided, the weekend is upon us

I took a business trip to Laredo this week.  I have had a very good week and have stayed on track with my goals.  On Thursday after work, I went out to dinner with one of the managers from our office .  We went to Salsas - the only restaurant I know of that sells both Mexican food and sushi -- Laredo style sushi.  I was intrigued by this combination and it was actually pretty good.  We chose the sushi and beer over Mexican food.  The restaurant had a nice ambience, including a couple of guys playing live music.  My plan for the evening was to focus on the people I was with and not the food on the table. This has gotten easier for me, but it is always a challenge.  It may not make sense to some people, but for most of my life, I have concerned myself with the food I am about to eat than the warm conversations of family and friends going on around me.  By focusing on the conversation, I forget about the food and slow down my eating.  I also feel happier and more connected with the people around me. 
We ordered 3 types of rolls --  the Ricky Martin, spicy tuna and the Gigi -- we also added a cucumber salad yum!!  I cant remember what was on each roll other than they were excellent.
Physical activity for the week so far is 1000 calories burned. This means I have 1000 more to go by Monday.  How am I going to accomplish this?  The plan is to go to a pump class at the YMCA tomorrow and treadmill for walking/jogging on Sunday.  If I dont make it to the Y, then it is treadmill both days.
Today I got some terrible news  -- work related... The type of news that make your heart sink -- my first thought was -- FOOD -- what can I eat???  I was surprised at how instantaneous the thought was.  I was also caught off guard by how quickly I became aware of this thought rather than just giving into it.  Usually, I  reach out for the food without even thinking. Because I was immediately aware of the need to eat, I was able to stop myself by thinking of the reasons eating the food is not worth it.  My hope for future days is that the days when I am able to cope with bad news without running to food become more common and normal.  
Weight loss and fitness plan for the weekend:
  • Exercise and achieve 2000 burned calories of physical activity
  • drink at least 2 liters of water per day
  • stick to the same foods (shakes and HMR meal replacements) for breakfast and dinner
  • Have fun and enjoy myself
Laredo Salsa's

No comments:

Post a Comment