Popular Posts

Monday, January 24, 2011

Week 1 - Progress report - 5 pounds gone, wohooo!!!

Last week required planning, sticking to healthy choices and adding physical activity into my life.  My goals for the week were:
  • Eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables per day
  • Have at least 3 HMR shakes and 2 HMR entrees (or a lean protein to replace one of them)
  • Drink at least 2 liters of water per day
  • Burn at least 2000 calories of physical activity per week
  • Weight loss goal - 2 lbs
The butterflies started last night, anticipating the morning and the time of the weigh in. I know it sounds silly, but just thinking about seeing how much I weigh makes me very nervous. I used to think I was better off not touching the scale.  This way I did not stress about it and felt more relaxed about losing weight.  Part of me deep inside also wanted to think I was not gaining weight, even though I was stuffing myself.  Avoiding the scale does not work for me. By not weighing myself, I have no accountability for my actions and do not realize how much more I am really eating. 
My efforts this week have paid off, the scale this morning reads 233 lbs.  That is a weight loss of 5.1 lbs, wohoo!! I knew I had a good week (even though there was alcohol involved) but 5 lbs??  There might be some water loss in there as well, but it does not matter.  I take the 5 lbs loss any time of the day, especially knowing that I did not starve myself, I exercised and drank plenty of water. 
Now here comes the tough part -- keeping the momentum going and not giving up.  I am taking it one week at a time.  It will take determination, planning ahead, and physical activity.  I also keep a "Reasons to lose weight chart".  I created it a few months ago, while reading the Beck Diet Solution, a book by Judith S. Beck Ph. D.  She suggests making a list and have it handy such in an index card.  I put mine in my phone, and I also have the index cards that I take with me on my purse.  I haven't been doing a very good job at reading the list, especially lately when I wanted to eat what I wanted no matter what.  Below are my reasons to lose weight which I carry around with me:
  • To feel better about myself
  • To be more physically attractive
  • So I can live longer
  • To be healthier
  • To be happier
  • To gain more energy
  • To shop for cuter clothes
  • To get fit
  • To gain more self-confidence
  • To look better naked
  • To feel more outgoing
  • To feel better mentally
I will be going out of town this week. My plans for physical activity this week are: treadmill at the hotel, dancing, WII Fit, and maybe a class at the Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment